Monday 24 May 2021

Interlinked hearts

 I was a gwarky teenager - long, nondescript hair, braces on my bunny teeth, and lacking confidence to enjoy being tall and thin. One Saturday morning I went with a friend who had considerably more outwardly confidence, self worth and make up,  to a local institutional home for adults with delayed development.  It was their annual fete, with the usual tea and scones, tombola stall, white elephant stall, and some oddly shaped knitted garments. We wandered around, spun the wheel of fortune, bought some second hand books and drank the tea.  I was feeling rather overshadowed by my confident friend, and did my usual shrinking act.  

Someone tapped me on the shoulder.  Not from behind - he boldly walked up to me and looking me in the eye,tapped my shoulder. I don't know how old he was - a young adult probably, definitely shorter than me, and had a huge open smile that a lot of the residents wore, especially the ones like him with Down Syndrome.

In his hand was clenched a tombola type prize of an interlaced hearts necklace.  He gave it to me, and asked me to put it on.  "You're beautiful" he said.  And then he turned and left.

I wonder if he had any idea of the enormity of the gift he had given me.

This gift accompanied me through some difficult teenage years.  It made me stand a little straighter, smile a lot more, and helped me begin to claim my own space in the world.  Kindness can change history, because  kindness recognises the humanity and connectivity we all share.  

 

   
This little old fashioned frame and saying hangs in my bedroom as a reminder.  It belonged to my Great Aunt many moons ago.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Rowing into the blue(s)

My hands were tingling this morning.  I could feel the familiar blisters hardening where I was gripping the handles of the rowing machine, a...